Whether looking for new pens to start your first bullet journal or an experienced journaler, it is essential to have good supplies. But remember, good supplies are not always the most expensive ones. To help you decide, I’ve put together the best bullet journal pens I’ve found.
Table of Contents
- 1 Finding The Best Bullet Journal Pens
- 2 What To Look For When Choosing Your Pens
- 3 The 20 Best Bullet Journal Pens
- 3.1 Microns
- 3.2 Staedtler Triplus Fineliner
- 3.3 Sakura Gelly Roll Moonlight Gel Pens
- 3.4 Pilot Varsity Disposable Fountain Pens
- 3.5 Pilot Precise V5 Pens
- 3.6 Pilot G2 Pens
- 3.7 Uniball Vision Elite Rollerball Pens
- 3.8 Crayola Broad Line Markers
- 3.9 Crayola Supertip Markers
- 3.10 Tombow Dual Brush Pens
- 3.11 Tombow Fudenosuke Brush Pen
- 3.12 Pilot FriXion Pens
- 3.13 Zebra Mildliner Double-sided Highlighter
- 3.14 Paper Mate Flair Felt Tip Pens
- 3.15 Kelly Creates Metallic Brush Pens
- 3.16 Faber Castell Multipack
- 3.17 Pentel Pocket Brush Pen
- 3.18 Pentel Aquash Water Brush Pens
- 3.19 Pilot Metropolitan
- 3.20 Lamy Safari
- 4 The Ulitmate Bullet Journal Pens
Finding The Best Bullet Journal Pens
When it comes to bullet journaling, pens are kind of essential. Whether you need black pens to make precise lines or colorful brush pens to add flair and pizzazz, you can find everything you are looking for right here!
What To Look For When Choosing Your Pens
It can be hard to find the right pen, but it does not have to be. Here are a few things to look for when you are choosing your bullet journal pens.
Questions to Ask Yourself Before Buying New Bullet Journal Pens
- How versatile are they? Can you use them for multiple spreads, or do they just have a single-use?
- Do they have good reviews?
- Are they too expensive?
- Is it worth getting the name brand, or should I go with a cheaper option? (In my experience, it’s worth going with the proven brand)
- Have I used this brand before, and if so, did I like the feel?
- Am I actually going to use these pens?
The 20 Best Bullet Journal Pens
When it comes to starting a bullet journal, one of the hardest things is finding the right supplies. You don’t want to spend a ton of money and not use them. But you also want to do everything you can to set yourself up for success. Luckily, I’ve been bullet journaling for years, and I’m going to share the best bullet journal pens I’ve found so that you can get started with your bullet journal right away!
- Experience smooth, skip-free writing in crisp, rich black ink to achieve consistent lettering and lines widths.
- Professional inking pens used by comic artists, illustrators, watercolor artists, archivists, and laboratory professionals.
- Pigma ink is archival quality on paper: waterproof, chemical resistant, fade resistant, bleed free, quick drying and pH neutral.
Staedtler Triplus Fineliner
- Assorted colors
- Perfect for charts, maps, and graphs
Sakura Gelly Roll Moonlight Gel Pens
If you’re looking to add a bit of flair to your bullet journal, then this pen set is perfect for you!
- Gelly roll moonlight 10 (bold point) gel ink pens
- A roller ball pen that is easy and comfortable to write with
- Archival quality ink chemically stable, waterproof, and fade resistant. Fluorescent Moonlight colors are not fade-resistant
Pilot Varsity Disposable Fountain Pens
Meet the pens that made me fall in love with taking notes. These juicy pens are colorful, cute, and delightful.
- The fashionable, disposable fountain pen that's convenient and easy to use
- Advanced liquid ink feed system and unique fountain pen nib guarantee smooth writing
- Visible ink supply allows you to see how much ink is left
Pilot Precise V5 Pens
If you want a sturdy but smooth every day writing pen, then you’ll love the V5 pens. Cheap enough that you aren’t afraid to use them, but nice enough that you’ll love every second.
- PILOT PRECISE V5: This rolling ball pen has a patented extra fine precision tip to deliver smooth, skip-free writing every time. Our unique ink formula maintains even, flowing strokes for precise...
- PRECISION POINT: You'll love the clean lines & even ink delivery of this rolling ball pen. Available in black, blue, red, turquoise, purple, & green ink. Visible ink supply means you'll never run dry!
- DESIGNED TO DELIGHT: If you love Pilot Precise pens, you'll want to try the full line of Precise V5, V5 Deco Collection, & V7 rolling ball pens, available in capped & retractable options.
Pilot G2 Pens
Talk about a crowd favorite. These are deserving of their wild popularity.
- THE IDEAL PEN FOR OVERACHIEVERS: The smooth writing, long-lasting Pilot G2 Premium Gel Ink Pen features a comfortable rubber grip, & is available in ultra fine, extra fine, fine, & bold point.
- LONGEST LASTING, REFILLABLE GEL INK: Proven to be the longest writing gel ink pen among top brands, the smooth-writing, retractable G2 gel ink pen is a classic choice for all your writing needs.
- PERECTLY SUITED FOR YOU: If you love the original Pilot G2, you'll want to try our full G2 line of Mini, Metallic, Mosaic, & Fashion gel ink pens in a variety of sizes, barrel designs & colors.
Uniball Vision Elite Rollerball Pens
I love these so much that I ask for a new set every Christmas.
- Reliably smooth, free flowing writing the moment the pen hits paper
- Convenient visible ink supply window so you know how much ink remains
- Exclusive uni flow rollerball ink system provides consistent smoothness and color intensity
Crayola Broad Line Markers
- CRAYOLA BROAD LINE MARKERS: Features 40 Crayola Ultra Clean Washable Markers in assorted colors.
- ULTRA CLEAN WASHABLE MARKERS: Wash from skin, most washable clothing, and most painted walls.
- ART & SCHOOL SUPPLIES: Perfect for art projects, classroom activities, and more activities with fine details!
Crayola Supertip Markers
These work just as well as the broad line markers above, but you can draw thinner lines and create smaller lettering with them. The fact that there are 100 colors in this pack makes this the perfect starter pack for learning brush lettering!
- Bulk marker set: features 100 Super tips washable markers & art with edge wedge markers.
- Wedge markers: enhance your artwork, hand lettering, and more with specialty wedge markers.
- Super tips markers: Crayola Super tips create thick or thin lines with a simple change of hand pressure.
Tombow Dual Brush Pens
- Ideal for fine art, brush lettering, faux calligraphy, illustrations, water color illustrations, journaling and more!
- Set of 9 colors and 1 blender pen, with flexible brush tip and fine tip in one marker
- BRUSH TIP: Durable and flexible nylon fiber brush tip, creates medium or bold strokes by changing brush pressure
Tombow Fudenosuke Brush Pen
- Contains both the soft and hard tip Fudenosuke Brush Pens
- Features a flexible brush tip for different lettering and drawing techniques
- Create extra fine, fine or medium strokes by a change in brush pressure
Pilot FriXion Pens
One of the most common fears for new bullet journalers is that they are going to screw up, and the truth is you will! But that is not a big deal, mistakes happen. However, if you’re someone who can not stand having mistakes stick around, make sure to check out the FriXion. These pens are erasable, so you never need to worry about making a mistake again!
- PILOT FRIXION COLORSTICKS: These pens write smooth & erase clean with Pilot's unique thermo-sensitive gel ink. No wear or tear so you can erase & rewrite until it's right without ruining the page.
- UNLIMITED DO-OVERS: FriXion ColorStick pens feature a slim, non-rolling capped barrel design & are available in 16 stunning gel ink colors. Ideal for homework, grading or creating bullet journal...
- WRITE & CREATE FEARLESSLY: If you love FriXion erasable ink pens & markers, you'll want to try Pilot's full line of erasable Clickers, ColorSticks, Fineliners, Colors Marker Pens, & Highlighters.
Zebra Mildliner Double-sided Highlighter
- Zebra line marker Mild liner slightly fluorescent color
- Zebra line marker mild liner mild color
- Zebra line marker mild liner astringent mild color
Paper Mate Flair Felt Tip Pens
I love the feel of a felt tip pen. They tend to write very smooth and give nice dark black lines. If you are someone who loves color, these may not be the right choice for you, but if you’re more of a minimalist, these pens are perfect for you.
- Add a blast of fun to all your writing with 16 bright colors
- Medium Point felt tip (0.7 millimeter) produces bold, expressive lines to match your personality
- Smear and fade resistant, so smudges are officially history
Kelly Creates Metallic Brush Pens
This set from Kelly Creates is the perfect bullet journal pens for anyone with an artistic flair.
Faber Castell Multipack
- PITT artist pens contain pigmented India ink that is both archival and acid free
- Perfect for drawing on the go!
- Convenient wallet keeps all your drawing tools together
Pentel Pocket Brush Pen
This simple, versatile brush pen is one that I constantly turn to for bold dark lines. I often use it to draw out my boxes in my dailies and calendars.
- Portable, neat and easy-to-use versus traditional paint and brushes: Ideal for painting on Location
- Permanent pigment ink is both fade- and water-resistant
- Durable, Premium bristles help create fine to broad lines in a single Brush stroke
Pentel Aquash Water Brush Pens
This one is a bit of an outlier, it is technically a pen, but it is much different than your standard bullet journal pen. However, if you’re willing to take the time to learn how to use one, it is incredible for bullet journaling!
- Fill with water to blend, or add your favorite ink or dye
- Easy-to-squeeze barrel and unique valve system allows you to control the flow of water
- Flattened barrel keeps Brush from rolling off your work surface
- AFFORDABLE LUXURY: The MR Collection features exceptional pens designed for everyday use. With a brass barrel, stainless steel accents, premium matte finishes & 'middle ring’ design, they deliver...
- POP ART PENS: Brilliantly modern & smartly styled, the Pilot MR Retro Pop Collection combines the vibrant colors & motifs of the '60s & '70s with premium materials & quality, and are available in...
- OBSESSED WITH OFFICE SUPPLIES? Get ready to write the most elegant to-do lists with a Pilot MR Collection pen, which offers affordable luxury for uniquely expressive writing. Plus, it makes the...
The Lamy Safari is a great first fountain pen for any bullet journaler. This stylish pen offers quality and a great feel for an affordable price.
- Made of ABS white coloured plastic body
- Steel nib, polished. Medium Point
- Accepts Z24 cartridge converter, sold separately.
The Ulitmate Bullet Journal Pens
These pens will allow you unlimited possibilities for drawing, lettering, and writing. Each one has something different to offer. You may find you like having several different sets to cover all of your needs; after all, you can never have too many pens, right?! If you need inspiration for other supplies, don’t forget to check out all the other supplies I’m currently using!
Last update on 2019-12-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API / Prices shown represent Amazon prices only, and do not represent the current price from any other source.