My Favorite Markers and Pens
This is a free sample from my course, Paint The Page: Dive Into Watercolor Journaling With Confidence, on Foxsy.com. With a Foxsy membership, you can access this course along with 24 others on subjects such as watercoloring, creative journaling, hand lettering, drawing, and so much more. Take the first step toward making 2023 your year of creativity!
Whether you’re looking for new pens to start your first bullet journal or an experienced journaler, I have put together a list of the best bullet journal pens I have found and used.
You can spend hours researching good pens to use. Stand in front of the pen display at your local store or search online for hours because it can be overwhelming with all the choices out there.
When it comes to starting a bullet journal, one of the hardest things is finding the right supplies. You don’t want to spend a ton of money and not use them.
However, you also want to do everything you can to set yourself up for success.
Luckily, I’ve been bullet journaling for years, and I’m going to share the best bullet journal pens I’ve found so that you can get started with your bullet journal right away!
Finding The Best Pens For Bullet Journaling
It can be hard to find the right pen, but it does not have to be. Here are a few things to look for when you are choosing your bullet journal pens.
- How versatile are they? Can you use them for multiple spreads, or do they just have a single-use?
- Do they have good reviews?
- Are they too expensive?
- Is it worth getting the name brand, or should I go with a cheaper option? (In my experience, it’s worth going with the proven brand)
- Have I used this brand before, and if so, did I like the feel?
- Am I actually going to use these pens?
The 20 Best Bullet Journal Pens
When it comes to bullet journaling, pens are kind of essential. Whether you need black pens to make precise lines or colorful brush pens to add flair and pizzazz, you can find everything you are looking for right here!
Sakura Pigma Micron
I had my first set for over six years and then immediately ordered another set. They are versatile, bold, and incredibly useful. I like to use them for boxes, doodles, or to add outlining to my work. I am a huge fan of this brand, and I’d definitely suggest you get your hands on some.
- The Go-To Tool for Art, Work & Play: Black pens create precise marks that stand the test of time
- Assorted Point Sizes: Contains 1 of each Micron pen: 005, 01, 02, 03, 05, 08
- Archival Quality: Sakura Micron Pen ink is waterproof, fade resistant, bleed free, quick drying, and pH neutral
- Create Freely: Pigma Micron pens use color from single pigments for color consistency, every time
Staedtler Triplus Fineliner Pens
If you love color, then you’ve found the right set of pens. These ultra-fine tip pens come in a ton of colors and are perfect for every occasion.
- Assorted colors
- Perfect for charts, maps, and graphs
- Water-based ink
Sakura Gelly Roll Moonlight Gel Pens
If you’re looking to add a bit of flair to your bullet journal, then this pen set is perfect for you! This gel ink pen comes in many colors and provides a smooth writing experience.
- Sakura Gelly Roll Pens: These pens don’t bleed through paper and make a lasting mark
- Bright, Opaque Colored Ink: Gel pens have paint-like colored ink that flows creamy smooth onto light and dark paper
- Archival Quality: Non-fluorescent pen ink is waterproof and fade resistant when dry; fluorescent ink glows under blacklight
- Unlimited Ways to Create: Moonlight Gelly Roll gel pens offer unlimited possibilities to create something unique
Pilot Varsity Disposable Fountain Pens
Meet the pens that made me fall in love with taking notes. These juicy pens are colorful, cute, and delightful.
- Fashionable disposable fountain pen that's convenient and easy to use
- Now with a new modern design
- Advanced liquid ink system and unique real fountain pen nib guarantee smooth writing
- Visible ink supply allows you to see how much ink is left
Pilot Precise V5 Pens
If you want a sturdy but smooth everyday writing pen, then you’ll love the V5 pens. Cheap enough that you aren’t afraid to use them for your journal entries, but nice enough that you’ll love every second.
- Handy Design: Enjoy the convenience of these capped pens that prevent accidental smudges and stains; Transparent barrels allow you to monitor the ink level, ensuring you never run out unexpectedly
- Smooth Writing Liquid Ink: Glides effortlessly across the paper, offering consistent strokes and skip-free writing for neat and professional-looking documents
- Patented Precise Point Technology: Pilot's Precise pens feature a precision tip that delivers clean and accurate lines every time, making your writing or creativity come to life with remarkable detail
- Versatile: Perfect for taking notes & jotting down grocery lists; Writes smooth for a polished, error-free writing, drawing, designing, sketching or doodling experience
Pilot G2 Pens
Talk about a crowd favorite. A high-quality pen with great grip that delivers smooth writing that doesn’t smear or smudge because of its quick-drying ink. These are deserving of their wild popularity.
- Smooth & Long-lasting: Enjoy a smooth writing experience thanks to the gel ink that glides effortlessly across paper; G2 has been proven to be the longest-lasting gel ink pen that allows you to write...
- Comfortable Grip: A contoured rubber grip provides ergonomic support, making long writing projects easier
- Versatile: Perfect for everyday writing tasks such as taking notes and jotting down grocery lists; The G2 tip delivers crisp, clean lines ideal for writing, intricate designs, drawing, sketching or...
- Refillable & Quick Drying: Save money and reduce waste by reusing and refilling your retractable pen with Pilot G2 refills (sold separately); The vibrant, quick drying ink helps prevent smudges and...
Uniball Vision Elite Rollerball Pens
I love these uni-ball pens so much that I ask for a new set every Christmas.
- Rollerball Pen: Capture fine details with the superior precision of our roller ball pens; Our fine-point pens come filled with vibrant, smooth-flowing ink that won't fade
- Uni Flow Ink System: Equipped with an exclusive ink system, our fine-point pen delivers smooth-flowing ink, allowing you to create concise, flawless documents with vibrant lines
- Uni Super Ink: Water- and fade-resistant ink helps you compose long-lasting, high-quality documents you can archive; Our ink pens offer protection against water, fading, and fraud
- Quality Construction: Equipped with a visible ink window, our writing pens ensure you don't run out unexpectedly; A convenient clip ensures that your favorite ink pen is always at hand
Crayola Broad Line Markers
Did you know you can use these for brush lettering? Exciting, right? I love them because they are inexpensive, flexible, and work great on most paper. Plus, there’s a wide range of colors in the big pack. What’s not to love?
- Water-based pens ideal for coloring, fine art, illustrations, doodling, journaling, hand lettering and more.
- Set of 10 Tombow Dual Brush Pens
- Flexible brush tip and fine tip in one marker.
- Brush tip works like a paintbrush to create fine, medium or bold strokes, fine tip gives consistent lines.
Tombow Fudenosuke Brush Pen
Tombow Fudenosukes are perfect for hand lettering in your bullet journal because they are so small. They are ideal for headers or drawing out boxes and dividers. You can also use the Fude pens with watercolors without having to deal with any bleed in your notebooks, which is a huge bonus for me.
- Water-resistant, light-resistant, pigment-based ink
- Elastomer pen tips provide control when drawing lines
- 10 colors set: black, blue, Brown, Gray, green, orange, pink, purple, red, Yellow Features:
Pilot FriXion Pens
One of the most common fears for new bullet journalers is that they are going to screw up, and the truth is you will! But that is not a big deal, mistakes happen. However, if you’re someone who can not stand having mistakes stick around, make sure to check out the FriXion. These ballpoint pens are erasable pens, so you never need to worry about making a mistake again!
- Stress-Free Writing: Write, draw, erase & rewrite repeatedly without damaging your documents & illustrations; Unique thermo-sensitive ink disappears completely with erasing friction
- Streamlined Design: The lightweight, capped, clipless pen features a slim, non-rolling barrel design; Vibrant, erasable gel ink adds a touch of creativity & style to everyday tasks; Assortment of...
- Versatile: Perfect for taking notes & jotting down grocery lists; Writes smooth, erases clean for a polished, error-free writing, drawing, designing, sketching or doodling experience
- Quick Drying: Fast drying ink won’t bleed through paper, smudge or smear; 10-pack includes black, blue, green, purple, red, gray, navy, orange, magenta & salmon pink pens
Zebra Mildliner Double-sided Highlighter
I absolutely LOVE these highlighters. The unusual colors are perfect for taking notes or simply decorating your bullet journal with all kinds of pretty. And they are dual tip, which is super handy. You’ll never want another set of highlighters after you get your hands on these. a full review is available here.
Paper Mate Flair Felt Tip Pens
I love the feel of a felt tip pen. They tend to write very smooth and give nice dark black lines. If you are someone who loves color, these may not be the right choice for you, but if you’re more of a minimalist, these pens are perfect for you.
- Add a blast of fun to all your writing with bright colors
- Medium Point felt tip (0.7mm) produces clear, expressive lines to match your personality
- Smear- and fade-resistant, so smudges are officially history
- Water-based ink won’t bleed through paper so your writing stays put
Kelly Creates Metallic Brush Pens
These metallic pens from Kelly Creates is the perfect bullet journal pens for anyone with an artistic flair.
- Water-based dye ink flows freely through bristle brush tip
- Achieve watercolor effect without watercolor mess
- Comes in variety of colors
Faber Castell Pitt Artist Pens Multipack
If you want a standard set of pens to use for everything, then look no further. This set is great for regular handwriting or fancy writing like calligraphy since they even come with some snazzy brush pens. They can be used with watercolors, and the black is a true black.
- PITT artist pens contain pigmented India ink that is both archival and acid free
- Perfect for drawing on the go!
- Convenient wallet keeps all your drawing tools together
- Pigmented India ink that is both acid free and pH Neutral
Pentel Pocket Brush Pen
This simple, versatile brush pen is one that I constantly turn to for bold dark lines. I often use it to draw out my boxes in my dailies and calendars.
- Portable, neat and easy-to-use versus traditional paint and brushes: Ideal for painting on Location
- Permanent pigment ink is both fade- and water-resistant
- Durable, Premium bristles help create fine to broad lines in a single Brush stroke
- Refill cartridges make for an easy, no mess ink Replacement
Pentel Aquash Water Brush Pens
This one is a bit of an outlier, it is technically a pen, but it is much different than your standard bullet journal pen. However, if you’re willing to take the time to learn how to use one, it is incredible for bullet journaling!
- Create a watercolor masterpiece with the Aquash Water Brush
- Fill barrel with water and blend powdered pigment, watercolor crayons and pencils, pastels and more.
- Ideal to use with Sign Pen Brush products
- Control the water flow with just a squeeze of the barrel. The durable, nylon tip will give a sensitive response for delicate lines or pools of water
This fountain pen is an inexpensive and smooth option that will make you want to write each and every day. I use it mainly for my Morning Pages, but sometimes I just want to write in my planners with a fountain pen to make it feel more stately. I like to use fun pen inks with my Metropolitan, but even a simple black ink in this pen makes each planning session feel like a treat.
- PILOT MR: This refillable modern fountain pen delivers refined style & an exceptionally smooth writing experience. Premium brass barrel with stainless accents, packaged in an elegant gift box. Fine or...
- USE WITH CONVERTER OR CARTRIDGE: The versatile Pilot MR Fountain Pen is compatible with the Pilot Con-70 converter (included)& it can also be used with convenient Pilot IC-100 ink cartridges
- PILOT MR COLLECTION: The expressive MR Fountain, Ball Point, & Gel Roller pens are available in a variety of options, including the refined Metropolitan, eclectic Retro Pop, & exotic Animal...
- TRUSTED QUALITY: We've been making pens for over 100 years. Whether you're taking notes, stocking up on school or office supplies, or writing in a bullet journal, Pilot has the perfect pen for you!
The Lamy Safari is a great first fountain pen for any bullet journaler. This stylish pen offers quality and a great feel for an affordable price.
- Sturdy ABS blastic plastic, With flexible shiny chrome clip
- Can be modified for use with converter Z 24)
- Use T10 Ink Cartridge
The Ulitmate Bullet Journal Pens
These pens will allow you unlimited possibilities for drawing, lettering, and writing. Each one has something different to offer.
You may find you like having several different sets to cover all of your needs; after all, you can never have too many pens, right?!